Because most people have taken me for a ride

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Melbourne trip 2006: numero uno

Doing 150 km/hr is a bad idea on the highway. Unless you drive a car with good enough specs. Or just good enough tires. 2 hours into my drive to melbourne, my right rear tyre burst. My life didn't flash before my eyes, and all that came out of my mouth was "SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT!!". Missed an illuminator marker about 2 armelengths. Once the dust had settled, I tried to start the car but travelling with a busted tire was not exactly the best idea on the highway. Then came my baptism of fire. I had to change a tire. In the dark. All you car enthusiasts can laugh all you want, but having to change it under such conditions is nothing short of terrifying. Especially when truckers are making their runs in their huge-ass trucks, blowing up a mini dust-storm when they come zipping past. I guess I was sorta glad it happened as it's made me take a look at life at a whole new angle. Near-death experiences changes a person like that. Plus the adrenaline rush kept me more or less awake for the whole night drive.

Melbourne itself was good. I didn't go shopping though, save the city. Didn't make the Chadstone run. Missed Chapel street. Bridge road and Smith st? pphhh!! It was just a lot of chilling. But what's really priceless were the people that were involved. I made a new friend, gave someone a 2nd chance to know her better and last but not least, a deep and meaningful with my best friend.

One thing I wished Adelaide has is an arcade with proper video games. Like king of fighters. So the prilgrimage to the Bourke St arcade is a must when in Melbourne. It happened on a thursday night after an awkward evening with Steph and Co, but that's another story for another time. So into the arcade, and came out winning my 1st game after losing 10 games. I'm not rusty, jus met my match. So as gamers go, the best leave after losing. Not gonna let you have the satisfaction of having the POSSIBILITY of winning a 2nd game. Most people would be pissed. Believe it or not, it's a mind game. The game doesn't actually end you step out of the door. So once he upped and left, I fiddled with the video game for all of 10 secs and followed suit. Being the childish prick that I was, I deliberately walked past him outside the arcade (Hmm, maybe the game still continues outside the arcade), just to let him know I was after a challenger and not actually wanting to play the game. I then went to the arcade on Russell St, did a round and saw nothing interesting and left. When I stepped outside, I saw the guy who bested me. I did the polite thing and let out an awkward smile while raised his hand for a small wave. I continued on my way for all of 5 secs and this voice in my head said, "what have I got to lose?" So I caught up with him and did an introduction. I was glad he was friendly. Come to think of it, it was pretty risky but hey, what have I got to lose? We exchanged numbers and was supposed to meet up the next day for some for arcade action. I didn't manage to make it due to schedule clashes but really glad I made a new friend. Corny? Hey, all part of the charm.

Dawn's Estee best friend. I should, by right, do the whole "getting into your good books by getting to know your best friend" gig. But our initial meetings haven't been the best. I thought she was just a showoff with all her Prada, Gucci, LV and Hermes. "Look what my friend got me! This Hermes thing-a-ma-jig." I wasn't impressed. But I managed to bump into her this trip. Come to think of it, I managed to bump into her last year as well. That's like 2 outta my last 4 trips. I probably wouldn't call her but I did bump into her so I did the polite thind and arranged for breakfast. And I was glad I did. I never did go beyond the facade that she built up around herself and she was every bit the friendly person that I never thought she would be. We did a cafe crawl and on the 2nd cafe, on the cobblestoned walkways on Collins St, I had what had to be the best chocolate hazelnut crepes. It's almost orgasmic. So there we were, enjoying the heavenly crepes when a group of 4 girls did a mini photo-shoot at an adjacent dumpster point. It's quirky stuff like that happens and people wouldn't bat an eyelid. Since I couldn't contain my amusement, I decided I wanted in on a piece of the action. So off I went and asked them if they'd pose for me. I'm no professional, so here they are.



Didn't get their names(what was I thinking?!!) Left them the name of my blog. Hopefully they'll visit and leave a comment. And their numbers.

I couldn't remember for the life of me when Wen and I had a good heart to heart. I guess it stemmed from the fact I was this in-your-face character she had to show around people in church. It was awkward for her I guess. But on a deeper level it was as if she was ashamed to be associated with me. Not wanting to go into details, we made our peace. Thanks babe. For this has to be the highlight of my trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home